Crafton Hills College

Crafton Hills College
Original Library Building

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

No class today - good or bad???

I learned a good lesson during my first fall semester, when I took my first programming class.  The lesson is:  Always check you computer before you leave home for school.  The instructor always puts a notice online, somewhere - usually an email - when there won't be class that day.  It saves time, gas, and all that goes into getting prepared for a class.  The first time this happened to me, I got to school on time only to find a note on the door saying that class had been cancelled.  It's a real weird feeling - good!  I have a few hours of free time; then - bad!  how am I going to get the help I need to finish an assignment;  then good, again! - there are lots of things that I need to do away from school that I didn't think I'd have time for; then bad again! - the guilt sets in as I realize that I really should go to the computer lab and get the help there and maybe finish an assignment.  To be honest, it's a toss of the coin which I decide to do.  
Of course, reading the email before I leave, still sets up a whole new list of choices like, now I have time to read a book, take a nap, actually try to solve the riddles of programming by myself and the great lift that gives me.  What choice do I usually make?  A combination of several of the above, depending on how I'm feeling that day.  I wish I could say I always go to the computer lab (if I'm already at school because I forgot to check my email first) or work on the stumbling block myself, but I'm a born-again procrastinator and put off the school work until after a few hours of more pleasurable options. 
In the meantime, I've driven the rest of my world crazy while I "goofed" off.  (There's some twisted sense of pleasure in that, too ;-)  There's always the chance that, if I put it off, my brain will reconnect with it's fine-tuning and I'll know what to do.  How often does that happen?  Surprisingly, more often than not.  So, fellow procrastinators, there is a reason we somehow manage to succeed and achieve our goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment