Crafton Hills College

Crafton Hills College
Original Library Building

Monday, November 1, 2010

The adventure continues..............

along with the challenges of convincing myself that I CAN learn all of the tech nical coding that is behind every web page.  I do enjoy the challenges and have learned far more than I ever thought I could.  The biggest thing I've learned is that learning how to program is just one step in creating a web site.  Each class builds on the last and what you learned then, you need to remember now.  YIIKES!!  My brain cells are overloaded and each new computer language I learn tries to replace what I learned the semester before or maybe 3 semesters before.  For example, the class I'm taking now uses a programming language that I took 2 years ago!!!  It's beginning to come back and I don't feel as lost as I was at the beginning of this semester.  What a relief to discover that everything I learned then hasn't totally gone into a black hole in my brain. 

 One of the most surprising things about going back to school is discovering that all ages are in my classes.  Age makes no difference, nor does background.  I've met some interesting and delightful people - middle aged unemployed learning new skills, teenagers right out of high school who were convinced they were going to make a fortune in computer programming, mothers of all ages who were brushing up on skills so they could re-enter the work place and, most impressive, the military veterans who are using the VA bill to finish their education that was delaryed or interrupted by service to our country.  This mix of students adds immensely to the experience.  Added to this is the willingness of each student to help any other student that needs it. I don't know how many times another student has helped me find my way through the maze of learning new skills.  My thanks to all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment